Skip to content

The Itty Bitty Baby Dress by Rae

May 5, 2011

Today I made Rae’s (from Made by Rae) Itty Bitty Baby Dress for R – it was really straight forward and so much fun!  She links to an enlargement patter
n for a 3T size since hers is for newborns, and I used that.  Given that R is only 2 1/2 and she is SUPER skinny, I spent some time re-working the pattern in a way that I thought would fit her better, given that she has her dad’s physical makeup (thank goodness!): tall and lean.  So after about an hour of cutting the pattern, reworking the pattern, and then cutting the fabric, I sewed for about 2.25 hours, and I was done!  It was so great!  It would have of course taken longer if I was doing it while R was with me…but she was in school today.  It was pretty funny because she helped me pick the fabric from my stash last night, so I knew she would like it.

After a lot of protests, I finally got her to put on the dress (correction: I got her undressed for her bath and then slipped the dress over her head before she was the wiser =) and she seemed to have a lot of fun running around in it!  In fact, after we finally did give her a bath, she started crying because she wanted to put on the dress instead of her PJs!

So any recommendations after using the pattern? Only that if you have a skinny child like mine, there is a LOT of room in the enlargement to remove in order to make it fit better. So just take some centimeters off the sides, a little bit off the bottom and you can shorten the sleeves a bit – and you’re good to go!

If you want to check out the original pattern by Rae and the enlargement she posted as well – please click here!

I am super excited to try out other dresses and non-clothing items for her!!

About these ads
11 Comments leave one →
  1. May 6, 2011 9:18 AM

She is so cute! That dress is adorable! Great work- it fits her perfectly!

2. May 6, 2011 10:31 AM

Wonderful job on the little dress. Your daughter is going to love all the lovely things you will now make for her. Well done!

• May 9, 2011 12:11 AM

thanks! i am definitely excited – and hope she will continue to wear the things I make for her!

3. May 6, 2011 12:55 PM

Your daughter is beautiful, and the dress is lovely; she looks super cute in it. My Mom used to make dresses for me when I was a child, too. I can crochet, but the only thing I can sew are holes in my socks :P

• May 9, 2011 12:12 AM

thanks =) judging by the looks of the socks in our household…sewing holes in socks is an important skill!

4. May 8, 2011 6:13 AM

What a cute summer dress!!! You are so talented…. really! I would buy that!

5. May 19, 2011 1:24 PM

Hi there! Thanks for linking up! Please do not post the pattern pieces here; they and their derivatives are copyright protected. Thanks! Please email me if you have any questions!!! ;)

• May 19, 2011 1:37 PM

hi there – thanks for visiting (i’m honored =)

no prob – wont put up the pattern pieces (I was going to put up the ones I revised for my skinny minny..but instead if you have any use for them, i can send them to you!)

thanks again for checking them out!

6. May 25, 2011 9:44 PM

I really like the fit of this Itty Bitty Dress on your little girl. The fabric choices are beautiful too. The Itty Bitty was the first dress I sewed for my little one

• May 25, 2011 9:47 PM

thanks! it is such a great dress because it looks so complicated yet it is not that bad!