Skip to content

Stuffed Sea Turtle (Free Pattern!) – Inspired by Make-it-and-love-it

June 30, 2011

I have a friend for whom I have been wanting to make a stuffed sea turtle…but it seemed like a very difficult task that I was having a hard time starting…  i just hadn’t made anything as complicated before, so I was scared to start!

stuffed sea turtle chillin

But then, I saw THIS amazingly well timed post at by make-it-and-love-it for making stuffed turtles!  So I thought – AWESOME!  I can just base my construction off of this tutorial, and draw my own pattern pieces to make the turtle into a SEA turtle instead of a regular turtle!

So that’s what I did!  And here is what I came up with:

close up of stuffed sea turtle

So if you like what you see, here is the FREE printable pattern (print on regular 8.5×11 paper):

sea turtle pattern

(Please note: This Pattern is only for personal use.  It is copyright protected and not available for commercial use without expressed permission from JAS Photography LLC.  Please email info@jas-photo.com if you would like a commercial license for this pattern)

and then go to make-it-and-love-it  and check out her tutorial for how to put the turtle together!

free pattern for stuffed sea turtle

Pattern pieces

Just a couple notes of what I did differently:

1) Of course, I used different shapes from my own pattern pieces

fabric pieces cut out for free sea turtle pattern pieces

Shell and stomach fabric pieces cut out

2) I did not make a tail (in all the pictures I looked at online, i never saw a tail on the sea turtles)

arms, legs and head of sea turtle from free pattern pieces

Arms, legs and head pieces cut out

3) Instead of sewing the head of the turtle in between the shell pieces, I made mine flat and sewed it in between the shell and main body piece – just like you do the legs.

sea turtle arms legs and head sewn shut

Arms, legs and head of turtle after stuffing and sewing shut

4) Once I sewed around the edge and turned the turtle inside out, I did not sew the opening closed by hand (i usually try to avoid that if at all possible).  Instead, I top stitched another seam around the edge of the turtle, and in doing so, i sewed the opening closed.  I thought this worked well for the sea turtle because their shells seem to be more flat anyways!

cute stuffed sea turtle trying to climg into shoes

That’s it!
How cute is it!?! I hope you like it – it makes a GREAT baby gift!

cute stuffed sea turtle

blue corduroy stuffed sea turtle

Pin It

About these ads
10 Comments leave one →
  1. June 30, 2011 11:02 AM

Very cute baby gift…You could make up sets of your toys and put them in your handmade book totes with little books for a very crafty gift business!

2. Lauren permalink
    June 30, 2011 6:40 PM

That is a really cool design! I will definatley make a few becuase I love turtles!!! Thanks!

3. Jaime permalink
    August 19, 2011 12:32 PM

making a larger version for my son for his birthday I think. He LOVES turtles. (He is turning 2)

• August 20, 2011 10:31 AM

that’s so exciting!! i hope he likes it! thanks for sharing!

• Jaime permalink
        August 24, 2011 10:14 AM

so I ended up making the same size.. it was plenty big enough… its not perfect. I’m kind of amateur in the sewing department. But i think he’ll like it. I’m going to make another, opposite of the one I made. (using the shell fabric for the little parts and the other fabric for the shell) I’m hoping I’ll improve a bit. Maybe I could share a pic when they are both finished. They are just too cute. I’d love to have a whole family of them. ;)

• August 25, 2011 9:14 AM

yay i’m glad you like them! let me know if there is something you think I need to adjust in the pattern or if you think they will get better with practice! i would love to see a picture too…maybe on flickr? thanks!

4. June 19, 2012 1:49 PM

Exually they do have tail but they are not showing it I v seen it when I was waching them laying eggs ……your turtle is beautiful keep up the good work!!!!!!And don’t forget to eat;pray;love and be creative!

Trackbacks